Leaded Lights - Wirral, Cheshire, LiverpoolStained Glass Windows - Wirral, Cheshire, LiverpoolLeaded Windows Repairs - Wirral, Cheshire, LiverpoolTimber Window Frame Repairs - Wirral, Cheshire, LiverpoolPainted Glazing - Wirral, Cheshire, LiverpoolStonework Glazing - Wirral, Cheshire, Liverpool

Repairs, restorations and bespoke commissions of leaded lights and stained glass windows


Wirral - Cheshire - Merseyside - North Wales

Restoration of leaded lights at Grade II listed Mostyn House Chapel – Parkgate, Cheshire

12th August 2018

Mostyn House School moved to Parkgate in 1855 and from 1862 to 2010 when it closed the school was run by the Grenfell family. The chapel was designed by Frederick Fraser and Warburton, with input by the headmaster of the school, A. G. Grenfell. The building of the chapel began in 1895 and took two years to complete.

During the development of the Mostyn House School site K. G. Bell Ltd was commissioned by the Livesey Group to reinstate leaded lights into the tower at Mostyn Chapel. K. G. Bell mastercraftsmen have decades of experience renovating leaded lights and stained glass in listed buildings.

The leadwork had failed and was brittle, buckled and ill-fitting to the masonry throughout largely due to the leaded lights themselves being too small in places. There had been movement out of plane and the waterproofing has completely failed on all the windows. The main lead work was not salvageable and there was a large quantity broken quarries, some of which had been previously replaced. It was recommended that new leaded lights be manufactured.

The old internal saddle bars were made from mild steel and were badly corroded, but luckily had not damaged the brickwork. New stainless steel saddle bars were fitted.

The K. G. Bell team attended site to take all templates and rubbings needed to manufacture new leaded lights to match the originals. Once new leaded lights had been manufactured, careful removal of the existing leaded lights (limiting damage to the stonework) would be followed by fitting of the newly manufactured leaded lights replacements.

The K. G. Bell team of mastercraftsmen did a beautiful job of glazing replacement leaded lights into stonework in the Grade II listed chapel, bringing the tower to life once more.

Have a look at the gallery of images below

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: